The Sydney Lawn Tennis Club
The Sydney Lawn Tennis Club is among the most prestigious tennis clubs in Australia.
It is the nation's oldest grass tennis club, with history dating back to 1880 and is located adjacent to the Stadium Club at Allianz Stadium.
The club is thrilled to have as Patrons, His Excellency General The Honourable David Hurley Governor of NSW and Mrs Linda Hurley.
The Sydney Lawn Tennis Club provides for both competition and social tennis. Membership of the club is open to the Sydney Cricket and Sports Ground Trust's Platinum and Gold Members.
Access to the courts for club play is available on Tuesdays and Saturdays.
All inquiries should be addressed to the Venue Services office at email@example.com
The annual results of the Open Singles Champion (called ‘Club Captaincy’) and the Open Doubles are recorded on the Honour Boards dating from the first inclusion in 1884.
Special mention should be made of J.B.May who, in the period following World War II, won the singles (Club Captaincy) 13 times and the doubles 11 times.
Mark Edmondson who is the last Australian to win the Men’s Australian Open Singles Championship in 1976 won the Club Captaincy title on five occasions (1989-1993).
The Sydney Lawn Tennis Club is generally accepted as the oldest tennis club in Australia and was created within the Sydney Cricket Ground precinct somewhere between 1878 and 1880 when the recreation area at Moore Park was controlled by the NSW Cricket Association and known as 'The Association Ground'.
The tennis section was referred to as 'The Association Lawn Tennis Club'.
In 1887 the name was changed to its present title because it was being viewed in many quarters as the 'The Lawn Tennis Association of Australia' rather than a private tennis club, whose members had taken the initiative to organise tournaments and develop this new sport.
The NSW Tennis Association was not formed until 1890 but did not own any courts until it purchased property at Double Bay in 1906.
As a result in the early years the Sydney Lawn Tennis Club controlled tennis in NSW and ran the NSW Championships from inception in 1885 until authority was handed over to the NSW Tennis Association in 1908.
Charles William Cropper
Charles William Cropper
The history of the Sydney Lawn Tennis Club would not be complete unless recognition is given to the club's first Honourable Secretary, Charles William Cropper, and the major role he played in the heritage of the club and Australian tennis.
• Cropper was instrumental in arranging and running the first New South Wales Tennis Championship and the first Inter-Colonial match between NSW and Victoria, both being played in May 1885 at the SCG on the club courts and extra courts marked out on the cricket oval in front of the original Members' and Ladies' stands.
Both these events continued to be played at the SCG under the influence of the Sydney Lawn Tennis Club until they were taken over by the NSW Tennis Association in 1908.
• Charles Cropper won the inaugural Sydney Club Singles Championship in 1884 and this event is recognised by Tennis NSW as being the first tennis tournament played in the state of New South Wales.
He was also part of the original 1885 NSW Inter-Colonial team and continued to be part of this team until the 1890s.
Cropper won the 1886 NSW Singles and Doubles Championships and the Singles again in 1887. The program printed for the 1888 NSW Championships showed Charles Cropper as being the Hon Secretary for the tournament as well as the defending champion and also the referee.
The Sydney Lawn Tennis Club has had many members who have represented Australia in the Davis Cup and the list reads as a who's who of Australian tennis throughout the years.
J O Anderson, J Clemenger, J Crawford, M Edmondson, H Hopman, A B Jones, N Peach, L Poidevin, A K Quist, A Roche, K Rosewall, C E Sproule, F Stolle, J Willard.
Horace Rice, who was an outstanding player in his era, won the Club Singles in 1899 and 1900 and then went on to be the first club member to win Australian Titles.
He won the Men's' Singles in 1907 as well as being runner-up in 1910, 1911 and 1915. He also won the Men's' Doubles in 1910 and 1915 and the Mixed Doubles in 1923.
Other Club members such as J Crawford, C Donohoe, R Dunlop, A Quist, K Rosewall, F Stolle, T Roche and M Edmondson won a further 12 Men's' Singles and 30 Men's' Doubles titles between them, however some of these players became members after their titles had been won.
One of Australia's most endearing sportsmen Ken Rosewall still retains his membership.
The Sydney Lawn tennis Club has provided eight of the last 11 Presidents of Tennis NSW with the last being John Whittaker who retired in 2007 after holding the position from 1991.
Geoff Pollard who was a member of the club's winning No.1 Badge Team between 1977 and 1981 was a former President of Tennis Australia.
A considerable number of Sydney Lawn Tennis Club members have served as trustees of The Sydney Cricket and Sports Ground Trust which speaks highly to the proud record of community involvement for our club over many years.